Dear Parents and Students,
Welcome to a new school year! Your PowerSchool account will be available for you to view your new class schedule on Wednesday, August 24th at 10:00 a.m. A few simple clicks on our website will give you access to everything you need to know about the opening of the 2016-2017 school year.
The first day of the upcoming school year is Thursday, September 1, 2016. School will be in session daily from 7:50 a.m. until 2:35 p.m. Please note that we do not have morning supervision for students. All students will be allowed into the building starting at 7:36. We will update this time once Clubs and morning activities begin. If you are dropping off your student as opposed to bus transportation, please use the crosswalk area located between the high school and middle school parking lots as the drop off point. This is a monitored area where students can safely cross the driveway and avoid moving bus traffic.
We are happy to report that we have brand new lockers! The new lockers are different from the vintage 1972 lockers, so we will be providing select time periods for all students to come in and practice with their new locker and combination. Students may also bring in any supplies they have for the first day at this time and store them in their new locker. Students in grade 7 are invited to come in on August 29th from 10:00 – 11:30 with our 8th graders coming in from 12:00 – 1:30 to conquer their lockers and walk their new schedules. On August 30th we will have our 6th graders come in from 12:00 – 1:30. Please note that these are not drop-off events and that there is no general meeting involved. Once you feel comfortable with your locker and your schedule you may leave. These are not mandatory events and if you need to come at a time other than your scheduled grade level please feel free to come during one of the other scheduled sessions. The goal is to allow students to become familiar with the newness of their locker and schedule.
In order to help with opening your locker we have produced a short video. Please go to: https://youtu.be/Ap8DjjLCaSQ You will be able to access this video on your mobile device when you come in for your practice session. We will also have paper copies of the directions available.
Additionally, as a reminder to our incoming 5th graders, we will be conducting our new student orientation from 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. on August 30th in the Middle School gym. This is a parent and student orientation. 5th graders have their lockers in the classroom. They may also bring in supplies to be left in their locker.
We would like to take this opportunity to introduce our new staff members for the upcoming school year. We are fortunate to welcome these talented individuals into our Middle School learning community. Mr. Travis McCarty, although not new, is officially our Assistant Principal as of July 1! Miss Marianne McGee will be teaching 6th grade math, Mr. Bill Posch will teach 6th grade social studies, Miss Jaimie Magneri is our 6th grade reading teacher, and Mrs. LeeAnn Johnson, a P.V. alum, will also be in the 6th grade teaching ELA, social studies and science. Mrs. Sarah Reilly will be a 7th grade English Language Arts teacher, Mrs. Caroline O'Leary is our new special education teacher, Mr. Eric Meier will guide English as a New Language (ENL) students, and Miss Alyssa Tripaldi will be teaching in our Literacy Lab. Additionally, we will have Mr. Michael Morano subbing for Mrs. Dugal in Earth Science until the end of her maternity leave.
Now let’s get to your student information:
1) First, go to the Middle School website at http://www.pvcsd.org/MS. Please click on the Student/Parent Resources tab and then the grade level that your student will be entering.
2) Within the grade level tab there are separate links provided for you to print and return forms that we need on file since we have not reached the level of electronic signatures to avoid all paper use. For example, we need you to print, sign and return the Student Handbook/Code of Conduct/Laptop Handbook form. We will not issue a laptop unless this form is completed in full and returned. Feel free to bring this form on the first day of school.
3) The PowerSchool Parent Access link will provide your student class schedule as well as transportation information. Please enter your User Name and Password. Along the left side you will see a number of icons. We ask that you focus on five tabs that will have all the information you need.
- Grades & Attendance: This tab provides the area where you will see the student’s grades and attendance throughout the year. You will also see your locker number and locker combination here.
- Transportation information is located under the tab that looks like a small bus. This will provide you with your bus number and any additional transportation needs. The link to the bus schedule is on top of this information.
- Please take a moment to review your student’s demographic page in PowerSchool. This is the area where we have your contact information. Take a moment to be sure that all phone numbers and email addresses are current, and make all necessary changes. The office will be notified electronically that you have made a change, and your account will be updated. As a reminder, please only have one entry per field (i.e. Guardian email – please only put one email address in this field). Do not follow the email address with any other information (i.e. father, mother, etc.) just the email address please, otherwise the computer reads this line as an error. This is the same for the phone number fields.
- Credentials – This will provide you with user names and passwords for laptops and online subscriptions used throughout the year.
- My Schedule: This tab will provide a printable copy of your child’s A and B day schedule.
Once you finish, please click on the Logout tab in the upper right hand corner. Please DO NOT share your User Name or Password with anyone.
As the year progresses we will continue to provide you information in a paperless fashion. We will provide step-by-step directions and reminders as to how and when to access this information.
If you have questions, please feel free to contact the main office.
Lastly, please be sure to mark your calendars for our back to School Night on September 20th from 7 to 9 PM.
As summer vacation comes to a close, we urge you to spend time with family and friends. We look forward to seeing you on September 1st.
Edward J. Hallisey
Travis W. McCarty