The Putnam Valley Central School
District is committed to educating students with
disabilities within its own schools, whenever
appropriate. The Committee on Special Education
and the Committee on Preschool Special Education
shall recommend services that provide for a Free
and Appropriate Public Education (FAPE) based
on the individual learning needs of the student
within the Least Restrictive Environment (LRE).
All school-aged students with disabilities shall
have equal access and opportunity to participate
in the curricular and extracurricular programs
of the district.
Our Program objectives are:
- To foster growth and independence in academic,
social and emotional domains for students with
- To continue to provide in-class services and
supports which enable students with disabilities
to be educated within the least restrictive
- To promote a positive self-image for students
- To work cooperatively with the staff of the
BOCES and private schools which serve students
placed by the Putnam Valley Central School District
Committee on Special Education and the Committee
on Preschool Special Education to ensure effective
programming for students educated outside of
- To constantly review out-of-district placements
to determine what we would need to do to serve
- To encourage social interactions and mutual
understanding between disabled and non-disabled
- To further an understanding of differing abilities
among staff, students and the community.
- To encourage involvement and support for parents
of students with disabilities.
- To provide ongoing consultation and in-service
training for school personnel who work with
students with disabilities.
- To facilitate the transition from high school
to post secondary education programs and/or
- To continue to assess the efficacy of our
district special education program in meeting
the needs of the students.
- To develop innovative options for serving
students with disabilities which reflect current
research on effective practices.
As we forge ahead with these objectives in mind,
we are committed to having all students meet the
high standards as set forth by the New York State
Education Department. We hope this website
will offer students and their parents with information
that will assist them to be successful.