February 23, 2017
Dear Putnam Valley Staff and Community Members:
On Friday March 17, 2017, our schools will follow an early dismissal schedule to provide an opportunity for professional development. The School District also invites community members to join us from 12:30-2:00 PM as we explore ways to sustain a community of respect and support for our students. The High School will dismiss at 10:15 AM, Middle School at 11:00 AM and the Elementary School at 11:45 AM. For families who currently use the Putnam Valley Children’s Center, the program will be in session.
We thank you in advance for your support, knowing that there may be inconveniences in our plan to dismiss early on March 17. We believe that at this time, your partnership is instrumental as we work to ensure safe and respectful school spaces.
Several circles of learning and sharing will take place simultaneously in order to provide information and dialogue on several ways to continue our efforts to empower all students in a safe environment that respects and appreciates different voices and perspectives.
Staff members are asked to identify three choices for the K-12 program, using the Google form. Click here
Parents and community members are asked to send an email to Jeannie Denike with their preferences. (email@example.com).
We will try to accommodate choices but may need to re-assign based on the program structure and capacity.
Circles of Learning and Sharing:
- Community Circle and dialogue on furthering our efforts to promote respectful, civil discourse and civic engagement: What are our schools doing now? What can and should be done? ~Facilitators: Ms. Intrieri and Dr. Wills
- Digital Citizenship-How can we help our students use electronic devices and social media respectfully and determine the veracity and credibility of websites and links? ~Facilitator: Ms. DeMaine
- Operation Respect: Introducing a program to teach younger students how to speak and act respectfully, appreciate differences and deter bullying behavior. ~Facilitator: Mr. Weiss
- Teaching English Language Learners (English as a New Language): A basic primer and strategies for general education teachers. ~Facilitators: Ms. Coleman and Ms. Methans
- The Instructional Strategies of Physics Professor Ed Mazur: Promoting students as problem solvers and active, collaborative learners. ~Facilitator: Mr. Kuczma
- DASA (Dignity for all Students Act) : Principles, Process, and Perspective: ~Facilitator: Ms. Doherty
- Facing History and Ourselves: Applying complex historical issues to current concerns related to prejudice, ethical decision-making, civic engagement and civil discourse. ~Facilitator: Mr. O’Connor
We invite your participation in this important opportunity to share, listen and learn from each other.
Dr. Frances Wills
Superintendent of Schools